As everyone knows, faux fur is an alternative to real fur; it is a warm, durable and versatile fabric which commonly used in fashion to make accessories & outerwear. But faux fur is typically made of synthetic materials and can’t be treated like animal fur, so its cleaning also needs some special respect.
How to Wash Faux Fur Fabric?
The easiest and quickest way of washing is the use of a washing machine, but it is not always safe to clean faux fur items. However, as a versatile & durable material, many faux furs can also be washed in washing machines, but some of them can’t be cleaned in washing machines. So first, check the tag of your faux fur item for washing instructions and confirm whether your faux fur item is washing machine washable or not.
Can you Wash Dry Clean only Faux Fur?
It is generally not recommended to wash faux fur, especially if it is labelled "dry clean faux fur only." Faux fur is made of synthetic fibres that can be easily damaged by water and detergents. Additionally, the process of washing and drying faux fur can cause it to lose its shape and texture.
So if it is washable in washing machines, then…
How to wash faux fur and keep it soft? Follow these steps:
First, prepare your faux fur item – If the faux fur is part of your garments, then it is best to turn its outside in to help protect the fur. Always wash one item at once in a machine to minimize the risk of fur ruining and to avoid fluff transferring.
Settings of washing machine - Set your washing machine according to the suggestions described on the tag. Commonly for faux fur items, the instructions will recommend the use of a delicate wash cycle and cold water. If it is possible, then put your washing machine setting that has the gentlest spin dry. Now turn on your washing machine and add in a mild laundry detergent & necessary water in it. Add Fabric Conditioner for clothes that smell, look, and feel extra fresh after every wash.
Place your faux fur item in the washing machine - Place your faux fur item in your washing machine without any other clothes. It is recommended that you go one step further by placing the faux fur item in a separate wash bag or pillowcase before washing. In this way, it will be easy to prevent fibres from coming loose in the wash. If your faux fur clothing used faux fur for part of the design only, such as trimming, then you must turn the faux fur area outside in before washing it. The conditioner and odour control technology helps neutralize malodor in materials such as polyester and can be effective on these types of faux fur by realigning and plumping up the fibres of faux fur.
Bring out the faux fur from the Washing machine – Now it is time to Bring out your faux fur from the washing machine instantly because few washing machines get hot after a small work. So leaving the faux fur clothes inside these washing machines may cause faux fur to lose its shape of faux fur and flatten the pile of faux fur items. Please check the label to confirm that your faux fur is made up of machine-washable material, as results on other materials may vary.
Drying & Reshaping of your faux fur item - when the washing process of the washing machine has been completed, and you have taken out faux fur from the washing machine, then please give your faux fur item (like a jacket, coat, or blanket) a polite shake to fluff it up and to free it from any extra water. For removal of excessive water from freshly washed faux fur, you may use a thick towel and can pat the faux fur. Allow it to dry naturally while hanging up openly, and please do not dry it with heat. Because! The heat of a tumble dryer on the faux fur fibres can melt them, which may result in severe damage to such fibres. As well as avoid ironing for the same reasons. However, if there are deep creases or wrinkles, then you may try removing them by low heat ironing or through a cotton towel.
And if it is not washable in washing machines, then wash it by hand and follow the following procedures.
A few faux fur items, like a teddy coat, a few jackets etc., need a gentle approach when washing. So they should be hand washed.
- First, prepare the hand washing materials – when you are washing a teddy coat-type faux fur item by hand, you’ll need to get all the materials ready first. You will need the following;
- A bucket
- Lukewarm or cold water
- A block of laundry soap for hand washing
- Fabric conditioner
- Cleaning of spots on faux fur (if any) – first, have a thorough look at the faux fur item you are washing that if there is any spot of colour or any other thing present. If there is, then gently spot-clean the parts of that item that you are cleaning. Please rub the soap on your hands and be careful not to be rough enough! If you do not want to damage your faux fur.
- Rinsing off your jacket, coat or blanket in cold water – After cleaning spots, gently rinse the detergent suds all over the item. Again be careful not to rough rinse for unruined cleaning of the garment. If you are adding a fabric softener to polyester-based faux fur, then use it after cleaning and rinse it thoroughly again. Again be careful about the use of too much conditioner when hand washing and follow the instructions given on the packaging. Please use enough water to clear all the detergent suds from the faux fur item. During the clearing of detergent suds, gently rinse the faux fur and use two to three times using fresh water for clearing it.
- Drying & Reshaping – Just like washing by washing machine, when the cleaning process ends then, you need to take your item out of the water. Now remove the excess water from it and then give a gentle shake to reshape it. You must remember that you will never tumble dry or iron faux fur because heat can damage or weaken your faux fur fibres. However, patting in a thick towel can be used for the removal of excess water, and a cotton towel can be used for clearing deep creases or wrinkles.
How do you Keep Fake Fur, Fluffy?
Don’t know. How do you keep faux fur fluffy after washing? Here are a few things you can try to keep fake fur looking fluffy:
- Brush the fur using a wire pet brush or a comb specifically designed for fake fur. This will help remove any tangles or knots and restore the fur's natural fluffiness.
- Avoid washing the fake fur too often, as this can strip the fur of its natural oils and cause it to become dry and matted. If you do need to wash it, use a mild detergent and handle the fur gently to avoid damaging the fibres.
- Avoid storing the fake fur in direct sunlight or in a humid environment, as this can cause the fur to fade or become matted. Instead, store it in a cool, dry place and hang it up if possible to help preserve its shape.
- Avoid wearing the fake fur in wet conditions, as this can cause the fibres to become matted and lose their fluffiness. If the fake fur does get wet, allow it to air dry naturally and avoid using heat to dry it, as this can cause the fibres to become damaged.
Also read What is Faux Fur Fabric?
Can you Steam Clean Faux Fur?
Yes, you can steam faux fur. Gently steam the fur using a clothing steamer or a steam iron on a low setting. This will help relax the fibres and restore the fur's natural shape.
Can Faux Fur be Washed with other Clothing Items?
Faux fur fabric can usually be washed with other clothing, but it's important to follow the care instructions on the label to ensure that the fur doesn't get damaged during the washing process. Some faux fur garments can be machine washed, while others need to be dry cleaned or hand washed. If the label says that the garment is machine washable, you should be able to wash it with other clothing in your washing machine. However, it's always a good idea to wash faux fur separately from other items to prevent any snagging or tangling that could occur during the wash cycle.